Thursday, December 6, 2007

I Have No Idea

I guess the second most common response is a total blank. Many callers are are simply stopped in their tracks by someone asking them a question off their topic.

While I was entering the last post I got a call from a company wanting to sell me a trip to Cancun, Mexico. I asked question 1

I don't know. I have no idea.
Do you want to take a vacation in Cancun?

No. You don't have any ideas for what you would like to know about the future?

Nothing. Why don't you want to go to Cancun? the resort vacation includes..blah blah blah...

click.
I really don't have the time to listen to their schpiel.
This guy was not typical because he went right back to his message. Usually the caller is lost for a second and cannot continue. Sometimes I count them as "no play".

One lady told me she would get in trouble if if she thought about things like that right now. I wonder if she was a slave or otherwise indentured to make phone sales calls all day.

As I get up to date entering all of the old responses I will try to post more of the actual quotes of the conversations. They are usually very short. I don't normally prod the person for more details. I just take what they give me. As you will see later, sometimes I get much more than I expect.

Sometimes the "no idea" response is because the question is open ended. Two people have told me that they would need more time to think about it.

There was one lady the other day who sounded really sad. She answered with a heavy sigh, "What would I want to know about the future? Nothing.... there is nothing at all." They way she said this, with such a sad sort of resignation, it sounded like she meant that there was nothing at all to the future. I thanked here and hung up but wondered if she was suicidal.

There is no way for me to know who these people are. They usually disguise their caller id so I do not even know where they are. I picture them as a rather sad group though - my prejudice only because phone sales would be about the last job I would ever want.

No comments: